July 10, 2011

C is for ...

Cabin, Cupid and Concussion.

I would show you all sorts of lovely photos of our annual visit to the "cabin" up north, but I just accidentally deleted them all. Including all the stellar fireworks shots. I'm certain they were award-winning photos. Luckily the resort owners gave us a disc with photos from the week which included a few shots of our crew. We had great weather, good friends and lots of fishing. We also spent some quality family time getting my mother-in-law hooked on Glee. I always feel like we've been away for weeks on end and am so relaxed when we return. We were joined by our good friends the Zs for the first few days, Chunky's buddy D, and friends we met at the same resort during our first visit nine years ago. They're from Indianapolis and have been up a couple of times since - this time only husband, Nutty, and daughter, A, made the trip. They were only going to stay for a couple of days but it turned into the full week.

Sparks were flying and not just from the 4th of July fireworks. I have never witnessed a full-on love connection before, but it was obvious there was a magnetic attraction between Chunky and A. Cupid was in full force.

This is Chunky and A in 2005 -

Flash forward to last week -

They were inseparable and it was really sweet to watch. Chunky's girlfriend from home broke up with him via text message a couple of days before we left so he was a free agent. I could tell D felt a little left out at times, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I can't resist then and now photos of Sassy too -

We brought up two borrowed ATVs and they were a big hit. Hubby, Nutty and Sassy took "the kids" on chaperoned rides as safety was our primary concern. Sassy wanted me to go out one day and I thought "what the heck, I'm on vacation". I was doing very well if I do say so myself until I overcompensated on a hill. I zigged when I should have zagged and there was a shift in the force as my head (and body) hit the ground. The ATV hit some shrubs and is no worse for wear. I on the other hand got my brains scrambled. Sassy was ahead of me and had just turned to check that I was (far) behind her so she must have thought I was good to go. It seemed like forever until she came back to the scene. Evidently I was more concerned about my shoe which had flung off than anything else. I made it back okay and started making dinner, but then Sassy and MIL got worried when I repeated things I had just said and was doing a strange head bob. They were concerned enough to take me to the ER (the others were all at a local gun range - we're such rednecks). I don't remember very much, it's all kind of a blur. I do remember feeling nauseous and feeling proud that I remembered my social security number ... until I started thinking about how no one would really know if that was the right number so maybe I was wrong. Then my head started hurting. A lot. They checked my vitals, confirmed I had a concussion, and told me to go home and rest. I would show you a photo of my ER wrist bracelet or the life saving helmet, but I deleted all my photos on accident. I blame the brain injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment