November 28, 2009

Intentions

I had the best intentions of taking photos of our Thanksgiving smorgasbord. Scroll down, go ahead. Yep, you guessed it. No photos. Those intentions were not realized.

The turkey was perfect. I must give Hubby props - he was adamant about NOT basting it because he saw it on a news show. I questioned the credibility of said news show over my beloved Food Network, but in the end I figured who am I to judge. Besides I think the brining makes the bird, but let's not tell Hubby. He's walking around like the proud turkey he is.

My gravy was A. MA. ZING! I tried something different this year - I cooked the neck and giblets on the stove in some chicken stock and wine (which I also put in the bottom of the turkey pan for "steaming", but most certainly not glazing). I then added two rosemary sprigs, garlic cloves and some salt & pepper. When that was good and bubbly, I added just a zip of sherry (my little secret to give it flavor and color). I discarded the turkey parts and rosemary. Then I transferred the liquid and enough pan juices for a total of 2 cups into a small pot. I brought to a boil then added a mixture of 1/4 cup flour plus 1/2 cup cold water. I let it simmer then turned down to low for the last few minutes. It was A. MA. ZING. And I don't like gravy. At all. I would have drank this stuff through a straw.

I triple-dog dare you to make the Moon Pie and not eat it all in less than a day. It's impossible. It beckons you, seductively. You start rationalizing that the crust might get soggy if you don't eat it soon. Or that the top is too soft to put a wrap on it and you must know if it tastes as good a couple hours later as it did when you last had a bite. Or that it's taking up too much room in the fridge and you simply must liberate some space. It's just that darn good. And it's long gone.

I've shamed Paula. My pumpkin & pecan squares were not great. My oven runs hot and the bottom cake layer was overdone even though I took it out early. I'll try once more. Maybe next week for my grad school potluck dinner - because I have nothing else to do besides write those blasted last papers.

I had the best intentions of not polishing off the pumpkin pie since Hubby specifically requested it. But then I got to thinking I really don't do that five-a-day thing and pumpkin is a fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment