November 15, 2009

Ethics

I finally did it! Oy vey that was a hard paper. Academic writing is very different than business writing. Professors want tons of (psycho) analysis and profound insight. Here are excerpts from the final -

I feel confident in my value of authenticity and desire to lead with integrity; however, recognize growth is essential for effective leadership. My goal is to regularly engage others in ethical conversations within my organization. I will ask what rights and virtues we think are at stake in the choices we consider. I will ask whose interests are supported by the decisions we make. I will ask what our duties are to the members we serve.

I saw a sign in a high school gymnasium many years ago that read “character is what you do when no one is watching.” My interpretation of “taking the high road” is aligning my actions with my values regardless if someone is watching or not. This is exercising ethical leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment