August 20, 2009

The B's Have It

Sassy has been at tryouts for the volleyball team the last three days (6 hrs a day!). She found out last night she made B-Squad and is a bit bummed. To bring everyone up to speed on high school volleyball teams, there's 9A, 9B, B-Squad, JV (Jr Varsity) and Varsity (the pinnacle). She was really hoping to make JV and was actually practicing with the girls already selected for JV the last two days. She is ineligible for Varsity this year because of the school transfer (state high school sport league rules to prevent recruiting). I was bummed for her, but really think this is best and was glad to hear the JV coach personally talked to her about it. He feels it better for her to be on B-Squad to have playing time and gain experience. There are two juniors (Sassy is a sophomore) that play the same position as her (left hitter) on JV so she would probably be benched a fair amount of time. I say court time is way better than bench time. The coach also told her he'd likely pull her up to JV midway through the season. Not sure if this would be a permanent roster change for the remainder of the season or if she'd be more of a substitute. This means they recognize her talent and potential and want to set her up for long-term success. This is what good coaches do. I'm happy for her, but of course she's bummed. Not defeated, just feeling a little low in the ranks. So long as she keeps her head in the game and the coaches keep pushing her in all the right ways she will have a successful season and make a lot of progress.

I'm kind of excited for volleyball season to start. It's crazy - running to games, cheering (those who know me personally already know I'm not a wallflower and that extends to all aspects of my parenting) and socializing. Afraid I may be overextending myself the next few months - I have new responsibilities at work which mean I own two huge projects due by the end of year plus my regular everyday duties (I think my business card should say "Cleaner"), kids back to school, president of the PTA, volleyball season, hopefully starting grad school and maybe helping Mad author a chapter of a business book. I'm so NOT type A - more like B+ at best. Not sure where I got the motivation for all this - so unlike me. Maybe I'm having a midlife crisis? Where's my convertible and hot guy?! Just kidding - I wouldn't trade hubby in for a new model even on the worst day. C'mon, why would I? He hates cheap furniture, loves to eat out, practically lives in the garage and likes to buy me jewelry and purses because they don't require him to know clothing size. Mr B is a keeper.

1 comment: