June 21, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

After much consideration Sassy will not be returning to the private high school she attended this past year and will instead go to the local public school. I'm not feeling at peace with this decision yet, but I know I can't control every aspect of my life, or others', and need to just let some things be. Letting things be is not my forte - I'm a planner and analyzer by nature. Parenting does not come with a mall map. Damn it. As our children enter adolescence they will be faced with many forks in the road and the choices made may bring opportunities or close doors. Sometimes there are chances to correct a path and sometimes the path we chose which seemed right to begin with ends up to be very wrong. My success as a parent is a tenuous thing. I probably will never know if I've been successful as it will be measured by a decision made in the dark, a silent change of heart or at the risk of losing a relationship. Making wise choices is the ultimate wish I have for my kids. I hope I've given them a good foundation so with their own experience the sum of those choices leads to a long road of happiness. Happiness is the ultimate choice we make for ourselves.

Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;

the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment