September 7, 2009

The Great Minnesota Get-Together

We heart the State Fair at my house big time. I know I'm biased and haven't attended a fair in another state, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say ours is the best. Did you know President Teddy Roosevelt gave one of his most famous speeches, “Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick” in 1901 at the Minnesota State Fair?

We got up at the break of dawn yesterday - hubby likes to arrive early - so we could make the most of our day and beat the heat. There isn't a lot to do before 9am besides eat so we got henna tattoos - Sassy's is the chinese symbol for 'love', Chunky's is a shark and mine is a flower (hubby has the real deal). From there we ate our way through most every corner of the fair's 320 acres. Samplings included corn dogs, pork chops on a stick, crepes, fries, cheese curds, malts, cones, lemonades and assorted sodas. The two must-have items we didn't have room for were mini donuts and Sweet Martha's cookies. Not sure why - I feel like we let someone somewhere down though our arteries are likely rejoicing. We didn't get to the Barn Area (cattle, horses, swine, etc.) - the young'uns are past the age of getting excited by farm animals and I don't really have any interest in livestock in various stages of eating, sleeping and ahem relieving.

I forgot the camera at home (my legacy) but was able to grab a photo at the Butterfly Pavillion with Sassy's new phone:

No comments:

Post a Comment