July 10, 2014

World's Fair

The 80s are back! Neon, miniskirts, leggings, slogan t-shirts, big earrings and shoulder pads. I guess what's old is new again. I would be totally in style if I'd kept all my funky earrings and off-the-shoulder Flashdance shirts. The miniskirts would not be a good idea now ... I was a total twig in comparison to now.

Aside from Chuck and Di's wedding, and of course the awesome music and movies, a lot of things happened for me in the 80s ... met my BFF, high school (the last two years were totally awesome, not the first two), and dating/marrying hubby (ahem, child bride). 1982 in particular was a pivotal year: Michael Jackson was moon walking, Prince was asking us to party like it was 1999, my dad and his second wife split and I went to the World's Fair. What is a World's Fair you ask? Why it's a large public exhibition (gracias Wikipedia). I think we should all travel to Milan, Italy for the next one, yes?! The 1982 World's Fair was in glamorous Knoxville, Tennessee. We actually stayed in North Carolina because no lodging was available in and around Knoxville but heck if I can remember where ... ironic because my mom just spent the past several years living in North Carolina (Dad's passed on so can't ask him). My dad and I road tripped it to TN/NC which considering I was 15 years old and alone with my Dad is some sort of miracle that we came out unscathed. I think we may have taken a long break after that trip however. I have a postcard souvenir that reads:
The energy-themed international event is the first World's Fair to be held in the United States since 1974 and the first fully sanctioned World's Fair ever held in the Southeastern United States. Are you in awe?! Wonder how much that postcard would fetch on ebay? 

No comments:

Post a Comment