April 4, 2011

Who moved my cheese?

I called home on my way from work and Sassy requested that I make her favorite dish for dinner. It just so happens her favorite is pre-prepped and ready to cook from Let's Dish. I suggested she get it started since she is perfectly capable and has volleyball practice at 7:00. She greeted me at the door and we got to talking. All of a sudden I realized the dogs were nowhere in sight. I asked Sassy if she started dinner. Yes I asked if she left the bags out on the counter. Yes I thanked the Lord immediately that I always kept cream cheese and Parmesan on hand because I knew these key ingredients were no longer in the pre-prepped packaging. So here's what we're having for dinner - thought we'd share because it's delicious, even if the furry kids ate the cheese.

Risotto-Style Chicken With Asparagus

Prep To Freeze: 10 minutes
Time To Cook: 20 minutes
6 servings

3 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
1 cup instant rice 3
Tbsp chicken base
2 teaspoons minced garlic, or 2 cloves, finely chopped
1/4 to 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil 1 cup fresh/frozen asparagus, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (substitute green beans or broccoli, add 1/2 cup red bell pepper if desired)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
4 ounces cream cheese

Place chicken in gallon size freezer bag and seal tightly. Place the rice, chicken base, garlic, pepper and olive oil into a sandwich size freezer bag and seal tightly. In another sandwich size bag combine the asparagus, red bell pepper and cheese. Seal. Wrap cream cheese in foil (or use fresh when preparing meal). Place the chicken bag, rice bag, vegetable bag, and cream cheese into another gallon size freezer bag. Seal and label. Freeze flat for storage. Use within two months.

To Cook: Set the cream cheese out to soften while you cook the rice mixture. Place the frozen rice mixture into a skillet or wok. Add two cups hot water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked (medium to medium-low heat). Stir in chcream cheese and contents of the vegetable bag into the rice mixture. Cook for 5 minutes or until cream cheese is melted and asparagus is tender. Sprinkle with bacon before serving.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment