September 3, 2020

Monthly Book Review: August 2020

Does anyone else feel like August was simultaneously the longest and shortest month of this year? 

I started How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi as it is on my to-be-read list as well as my new book club’s read for the month. Maybe it’s because I’m still processing Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi  Coates from June (it’s that good and powerful) or that I wanted to completely escape, I just couldn’t get into it. So I decided to give myself grace (the same grace I invoke when indulging in a cookie or two because I went to Pilates that morning) and got lost in Kate Morton‘s The Forgotten Garden. I love Kate. She creates ethereal stories that expertly intertwine characters from different times. Nell found herself on a ship to Australia as a young child and ended up living a charmed life until her “father” reveals the truth as she’s about to be married. Nell seeks her truth, but fate intervenes. Nells granddaughter Cassandra picks up where Nell left on years later only to find her own truth in the process. 
 
TBR List:
  • A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende 
  • The Guest List by Lucy Foley
  • Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

No comments:

Post a Comment