October 15, 2018

Confession & Monthly Book Review: September 2018

I seriously considered skipping this month altogether, but then decided to hold myself accountable whilst making a confession. It has been a slow reading season the past few months because I've been busy. Busy falling in love. Aww It has been an intoxicating, surprising and mind-boggling experience. I never thought I would enjoy sharing my literal and figurative space with another person again, let alone find someone with whom I feel so compatible. We're still in the "honeymoon phase" of the relationship of course where the thrill of discovery is forefront, but this feels very right. Falling in love in middle age without the "start up" pressures of establishing careers, questionable finances and raising children is nice, but what's been especially refreshing is how secure I am in myself ... my needs, my values, my limits, and acceptance of my body. It's wonderful to be with someone who is not only okay with all of that, but appreciative of my cultivating it. We know who we are and aren't afraid to express ourselves with a knowing that being right or righteous isn't required for such expression that only maturity can bring. I'm feeling really lucky and don't want to take anything for granted, while keeping my eyes and mind open (because one should be willing to see and address red flags if any arise). So it's been delightful, but my reading time and social life have taken a serious hit. I'm working on fixing that.

The French Girl by Lexie Elliott - This felt like a Girl on The Train knockoff - memory lapses, questionable choices, wondering if you really know those closest to you. It was good, solid B, just too long. 

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah - Two sisters completely different from one another try to relate to their cold, distant mother. I could see where things were going early on and it took FOREVER for the author to get there. I almost gave up half way through, but glad I didn't as it was a poignant story with a good ending. I'd give this a B as well.

Rant: perhaps I'm becoming cynical in my old age, but most books are TOO DAMN LONG!!!

Next up:
The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams
The Favorite Sister by Jessica Knoll
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

1 comment: