April 3, 2018

Monthly Book Review: March 2018

I feel like I'm back on track reading four books this month (though my son says I'm not reading if I'm listening ... oh to be young and to have all the answers to life).

The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter - two sisters, two different perspectives on tragic events. This is a bit dark with fiesty women so right up my alley. It was a bit long - every single thought in every monent of each character is chronicled. B

Everything Happens for a Reason by Kate Bowler (nonfiction) - my pastor referenced this in a couple of sermons so I needed to check it out. Kate is a Duke divinity professor diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The book details how that rocked her world and how those around her reacted to it. The title is one of the "lies" she loves. A

I've Been Thinking ... by Maria Shriver (nonfiction)- I was gifted this and it was the perfect flight read. Short, sweet, genuine, introspective and full of hope. I read several excerpts aloud to my daughter. She has so much faith, but eager to say she doesn't have all the answers and that she's changed her mind on quite a few things along the road of life. I want to have lunch, coffee and dinner with Maria (maybe a sleepover too). A

Broken Angels by Gemma Liviero - back to my home base of WWII fiction. The lives of a Jewish girl from Poland, a half Jewish young woman from Romania and a Nazi doctor collide. Is the harm to one worth saving many? I found myself wishing hateful, evil events weren't rooted in truth and hoping others had really taken place. This book has a more hopeful slant to it than many others in this genre. A-

In my queue:
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover
City of Thieves by David Benioff
Why I Hate Green Beans by Lincee Ray
The Map of Heaven by Eben Alexander
All Clear by Connie Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment