March 10, 2014

Comfort stew

I have to share one of my favorite recipes of the moment ... Tuscan Chicken Stew. This is comfort food at it's best - hearty, flavorful and looks great. I'd serve it to guests in a heartbeat. It all started when I came across spices in a bubble pack at the grocery store for about $1 - McCormick's Recipe Inspirations. I love cooking with spices and have quite a few at my disposal, but don't want to spend money for only one recipe. This caught my eye and I thought I might have everything on hand but wanted to buy it for the recipe. I also love that it's an Italian dish without pasta as hubby doesn't like pasta so it can be challenging to connect with my roots through cooking. It turns out I do have all the spices on hand so it's become a frequent go-to. The recipe calls for spinach but I substituted with kale the first time I made it as that's what I had on hand. I used spinach tonight and it was just as good, though I think I like the kale a bit better. I used wine the first time but used water tonight as I didn't have a bottle open and it seemed silly to open one just for this - I definitely like the depth that wine gives but water didn't detract from the tastiness at all. This could easily be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken and would cut down on the prep time as well. I took a picture but it did not do it justice - I won't be winning any awards for photo journalism in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment