March 11, 2012

Stuffed

Another eMeals hit! We love colored peppers and "minis" are super convenient to eat so I improvised the recipe a bit. I realize the photo is not as appealing raw as it would have been cooked ... I should have taken a photo after they came out of the oven. Oh well, such is life. Hubby couldn't get enough of these - sweet and juicy peppers with seasoned meat. Delish!



Stuffed Peppers
4-6 medium bell peppers, cut off tops & remove seed or one bag mini peppers
1 1/2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
1 chopped sweet onion
14 oz can Italian style diced tomatoes, undrained
⅜ c cooked white rice
3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
6 T ketchup-divided
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano or italian seasoning + dry mustard

I used glaze from my favorite church cookbook:
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp dry mustard
1 Tb brown sugar

Combine ground beef, onion, rice, 4 T ketchup, salt, pepper & 3/4 tsp oregano. Stuff mix in peppers & set in 8x8 baking dish. Stir diced tomatoes, 2 T ketchup and oregano then pour over peppers. Cover with foil. Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until no longer pink in center.

Mine only took an hour to cook. I added tomatoes, ketchup and seasoning to meat mix. Then I put in large Ziploc bag, cut corner and "piped" into peppers. Add glaze on top with teaspoon. I ran out of peppers (half bag) so made mini loaves - these tasted good, but because no egg to bind they fell apart when I took them out of the pan. Super yummy over mashed potatoes two days later though!

No comments:

Post a Comment