December 2, 2019

Monthly Book Review: November 2019

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett - One reviewer hit the nail on the head when calling this "obsessive nostalgia". Maeve and Danny grew up in The Dutch House and the story chronicles their decisions and relationships through the years. I found this to be a love story between siblings. Because who else knows your history, warts and all, better than they? The audio version is read by Tom Hanks which I was excited about but neither loved nor hated. B+

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center is a bit predictable but I found it to be an honest portrayal of the aftermath following a traumatic injury - something I know a bit about being the former wife of a quadriplegic. The characters are extremely likable and the bonus short story gives another perspective. B-

I just could not get into Circe by Madeline Miller, the fabled story of a daughter of the Greek god Helios. I gave up three hours in, lasting only that long due to the melodic voice of the narrator, Perdita Weeks.

Next up:
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
American Royals by Katherine McGee
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

No comments:

Post a Comment